The number of children who have been abused or neglected has steadily increased in recent years. According to national statistics, each year, 3.3 million cases of child abuse are reported that involve nearly 6 million children. Many instances of abuse often go unreported, so estimates of the actual number of children living with daily abuse are much higher.
- Every 10 seconds in the United States, child abuse is reported
- 5 or more children die each day from child abuse
- 80% of children killed because of child abuse are under age 4
- An estimated 50-60% of deaths from child abuse do not list abuse as the cause on death certificates
- Over 90% of children who are sexually abused know their abuser
- 80% of persons who are 21 years of age and were abused as children meet at least one of the criteria for a psychological disorder
The Children’s Advocacy Center of Hidalgo County sees first-hand the devastating effects that child abuse and neglect can have on children. From the initial investigation to the prosecution and intervention phases of a case, our main goal is to protect the health and well-being of all children being affected by abuse.
If you believe a child you know has been abused, molested, neglected or otherwise maltreated, please report it today. For more information on reporting child abuse, call the Texas Abuse and Neglect Hotline at (800) 252-5400.